Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Judge me

So a little status thread on my friends facebook page got me thinking of a good topic.  The parents who think they're better than the rest of us and like to judge.  But then again, don't you yourself find that you sometimes judge others?  I know I catch myself doing it.  We're only human.

So, I admit it.  I use the electronic babysitter quite often.  And I'm not ashamed.  I pretty much leave the TV on all day long.  It's on either Nick Jr. or Disney.  But I do leave it on.  And it does help me when I want to do the dishes, or do a load of laundry, or vacuum the floors.  Now does that mean Julia sits and watches it from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to bed?  Thank goodness no, but I'd go crazy if it was quiet in the house all day, with no TV, and only the sounds of either the dog barking, or Julia screaming.  I need background noise!  She crawls laps around the room, plays with her toys, practices walking by cruising the furniture, and occasionally sits and watches the TV.  I know many parents who think TV is so awful for your kids.  But whatever.  No matter what you or I do as a parent, we will always be judged.  Someone will always have an opinion about it.  I watched TV as a kid and I think I turned out alright.  Same with my hubby.  And there are those who never watch TV as a kid because their parents think it's bad and turn out to be drug dealers or school drop-outs (I don't know any of this for a fact, but I'm more than positive it has happened).  Plus, it's not like I can send her outside to play.  She's only 10.5 months for cryin' out loud!  When she's 5, we'll talk.

So what I'm saying is, who are we to judge how someone else decides to raise their kids?  Of course we're going to catch ourselves judging.  It just happens.  But what one person thinks is good or ok, another might see as bad.  You can't please everyone, and you can only do YOUR best to raise YOUR child how YOU see fit.

My 10 month old watches TV.  She even has favorite shows already.  So what!!!!  It's not going to stop her from getting exercise, doing well in school, having a good job, being a good American citizen, raising a nice family one day.  :)



p.s. She just took a 2.5 hour nap!!!  Holy moly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment