Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My baby is a caveman

So last night I started reading the book The Happiest Toddler On The Block by Harvey Karp.  I figured since his other book, The Happiest Baby On The Block was so successful for us and many others I know, I would read this as well.
I got through one chapter.  Downside to starting a book right before bedtime.  But it is VERY interesting and I can't wait to finish it.  It's all about raising a respectful, patient, and happy one to four year old toddler.  It explains how a toddler sees the world.  So far, it compares toddlers to cavemen.  And if you think about it, it's kinda true.  So it's all about communicating to them in ways a caveman would understand.  Simple words, tone of voice, not using adult-like sentences, etc.  Also talks a lot about different types of temperaments and how to figure out which one fits your child and how to deal with each type (there are 3 different types).  It's very fascinating so far.  And of course I've only gotten through one chapter out of many.  So I haven't even skimmed the surface yet.  It even says to start practicing these techniques as early as 9 months.  Oh no, I'm already a month behind!  haha.
Anyway, even though I've only read a little bit, I already would highly recommend it.  Especially if it's anywhere near as affective as his first book.  His 5 S's techniques those first few months Julia was here really were magical!  This Harvey Karp guy is a genius!

Has anyone else read this book, and did it help?!

Happy Tuesday :)  Keep cool if it's hot where you are like it is here!  In the 90's and HUMID!  Bad hair days for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment